Top 100 analyst blogs
This method of communication has increasingly been used with great effect by the analyst community to engage in conversations. According to Tekrati there are approximately 225 analyst blogs – some have taken this form of communication as their main public output method, others have are using this to great effect to act as a PR tool to promote their research.
Whilst some firms have excelled in this (e.g. Forrester) other large companies are still lagging behind (e.g. Gartner) – however, what is clear is that this form of communication is becoming more important year-on-year.
I should point out that if this survey was completed a week later then Forrester’s new social media hire – Jeremiah Owyang would undoubtedly come top – assuming he came along with his very well read Web Strategy blog.
Congratulations to everyone who has made the top 100.
Edit: 3 October
Mike Rothman’s Security Incite blog has jumped to 10th place in the table as the error that calculated his subscribers has now been fixed.
Following the publication of the league table in June, there has been quite a lot of discussion around the validity of such a ‘league table’. Consequently I have taken the feedback from the previous research and modified the methodology.
Scores are now calculated as follows:
- Google PageRank (0 to 10) – Google PageRank is a link analysis algorithm that interprets web links and assigns a numerical weighting (0 to 10) to each site. High-quality sites receive a higher PageRank. The ranking uses the actual PageRank as part of its algorithm.
- Bloglines Subscribers (0 to 10) – Bloglines displays the amount of subscribers each blog has to its feed(s). Subscriber ranges were determined (i.e., more than 20, more than 30, etc.) and each range was assigned a number (0 to 20) that was used as part of the algorithm.
- Technorati Ranking (0 to 10) – Technorati ranking relates the authority of a particular blog (via the number of sites pointing to it). The more link sources referencing your blog, the higher the Technorati ranking. Similar to the Bloglines Subscribers value, and each range was assigned a number (0 to 30) that was used as part of the algorithm.
- When total scores were tied, the blog with the higher Technorati authority was given a higher placement.
- Digg Points (0 to 10) – Blog articles that have been ‘Digged’ have been deemed by readers to have a high content value. This external subjective score is a great way to identify the quality of the content published in an analyst’s blog.
- Technobabble Points (0 to 15) – As the only personal subjective measure in the algorithm, 0 to 15 opinion points were assigned to each blog. I value frequent, relevant, creative and high-quality content with a good number of comments.
- Weighting – Each specific variable listed above was given a standard score out of 10. Using a weighting scale I varied the importance of the each metric to establish a blogs total score. For the table listed above the following weightings were used:
There’s quite a few conclusions you can draw from this – notably the high ranking of blogs that focus on social media and open source as well as the very poor presence of major global analyst houses. I will publish subsequent posts analysing this table over the next few weeks. In the meantime I would be very interested to hear your thoughts and comments.
This league table was inspired by Todd And’s Power 150, a ranking of the top English-language marketing blogs developed by Todd Andrlik.
Filed under: analyst relations, blogger relations, blogging, noteworthy, social media | 28 Comments
syndicate and subscribe
Most active posts
top posts all time
- Trends: The Battle For CMO Mind Share | Forbes on Top analyst blogs
- Analyst technology predictions 2011 « Technobabble 2.0 on Technology predictions 2010
- Social Media: Blueprints, eBooks, Guides, Tutorials and Whitepaper - Kleckerlabor on White paper – distributed influence: quantifying the impact of social media
- The Internet of Things and Change | Forbes on Top analyst blogs
- Tuesday's Tip: Why Context Matters – Forget Real-Time, Achieve Right | Social Media Blog Sites on Top analyst tweeters (via TweetLevel)
- January 2015 (1)
- December 2012 (1)
- October 2012 (2)
- August 2012 (2)
- July 2012 (1)
- February 2012 (3)
- January 2012 (3)
- December 2011 (4)
- November 2011 (2)
- October 2011 (1)
- September 2011 (4)
- August 2011 (1)
- July 2011 (3)
- June 2011 (1)
- May 2011 (4)
- April 2011 (3)
- March 2011 (1)
- February 2011 (1)
- December 2010 (1)
- November 2010 (1)
- October 2010 (2)
- September 2010 (3)
- August 2010 (1)
- July 2010 (10)
- June 2010 (3)
- March 2010 (1)
- February 2010 (7)
- January 2010 (5)
- December 2009 (4)
- November 2009 (4)
- October 2009 (3)
- August 2009 (7)
- July 2009 (3)
- May 2009 (2)
- March 2009 (7)
- October 2008 (2)
- August 2008 (2)
- July 2008 (3)
- June 2008 (5)
- May 2008 (9)
- April 2008 (8)
- March 2008 (7)
- February 2008 (9)
- January 2008 (18)
- December 2007 (3)
- November 2007 (9)
- October 2007 (8)
- September 2007 (5)
- August 2007 (6)
- July 2007 (8)
- June 2007 (6)
- May 2007 (15)
- April 2007 (9)
- RT @suzanne_baum: Can we get this story in local paper please @times_series ? I can give you all details twitter.com/suzanne_baum/s… 2 weeks ago
- RT @suzanne_baum: My friends blonde cockapoo has been lost in the Woodside Park area Pls could u look out 4 her if u r local Thanks X https… 2 weeks ago
- @tfl please can you help. My blonde cockapoo dog lost and last seen near Finchley Central. Microchipped. Pls share https://t.co/aimsqXBFq0 2 weeks ago
- Appeal for 15-year-old girl missing from Barnet - Metropolitan Police news.met.police.uk/news/appeal-fo… via @mynewsdesk_uk 1 month ago
- @MailChimp thanks but when your status update page times out as well, its not looking good. Can you please give ETA on it being fixed here 3 months ago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License
DisclaimerThis blog accepts forms of cash advertising in the form of link placement. However, neither my employer nor myself endorse in any way the sites that are linked.